HUMBOLDT — Mike Winkel and Jared Leier of Saskatoon won the Humboldt Golf Club’s Labour day tournament for the second year in a row.
The annual Labour Day Two-Person Match Play Tournament took place on Aug. 31 and Sept 1. The two person teams played 18 qualifying holes and a first 18-hole match on Saturday followed by an 18-hole final match on Sunday.
For the first time this year, a mixed division was added.
During the qualifying round on Aug. 31 Mike Winkel and Jared Leier tied Regina’s Riley Grona and Delton Elder for low score both posting 66.
Carolyn and Randy MacLean of Humboldt were low qualifiers in the mixed division with a 68. Following the opening round teams were flighted into groups of four and the first match play round commenced.
The highlight of the day happened in the championship flight when Mike Winkel scored a hole-in-one on the 15th hole to win the match against Dustin and DJ Hogeman of LeRoy.
Winkel and Leier continued their hot play on Sept. 1, beating Humboldt’s Todd Marcotte and Saskatoon’s Harry Bahnman in the championship flight final and capturing the tournament.
Carolyn and Randy MacLean defeated Jennifer Fafard and Murray Weninger to win the mixed championship flight.
- 1st - Jared Leier/Mike Winkel
- Consolation – Dustin/DJ Hogeman
- 1st - Joe/Nathan Fischl
- Consolation – Drew Dale/Mark Holfeld
- 1st - Greg Rogers/Spencer Hill
- Consolation – Perry Rocochy/Mark Herperger
- 1st - Tom Johnson/Vern Rabinovitch
- Consolation – Kurt Therres/John Gorsalitz
- 1st – Kirk Plemel/Trevor Pray
- Consolation – Tyler Hogeman/Cody Moorman
Mixed Championship Flight
- 1st - Randy/Carolyn MacLean
- Consolation – Dave/Jackie Hill
Mixed First Flight
- 1st – Glen Hay/Kelly Herperger