EAST CENTRAL — The Lakeland District for Sports, Culture, and Recreation are encouraging people to get their vote on for their Wonderful Winter Spot Contest taking place on Facebook.
Sixteen local winter hot spots have been chosen by Lakeland District staff as well through local municipal governments nominating their favourites, said Julia Frigault, youth consultant with Lakeland District for Sport, Culture, and Recreation.
Frigault got the idea from a fellow Lakeland youth consultant when they planned out a Sweet Summer Swimming Contest for their area. Frigault got a bracket together to promote the winter fun taking place across the Lakeland district.
Voting has been taking place over Facebook, which has allowed Lakeland to successfully engage with both voters and communities to promote these fun winter spots, Frigault said.
“It's really helpful that we are able to tag a community’s recreation pages, or just their town, village, or city page. It automatically notifies them that they are in fact being mentioned.”
Four brackets have been developed to choose the best hills, ice fishing spots, trails, and outdoor ice services across the district.
While rounds of voting have already taken place, here is the full list of Saskatchewan hot spots that graced the Lakeland bracket. Those with a (W) are moving on to the next round of voting taking place the last week in January:
- PCU Park Outdoor Rink - Porcupine Plain (W)
- Kinsmen Outdoor Rink - Shellbrook
- Barbers Pond - Nipawin (W)
- Reservoir Rink - Rosthern
- Valley Regional Park cross-country ski trails - Rosthern (W)
- Pasquia Regional Park Hill - Carrot River (W)
- Ski Timber Ridge - Big River
- Little Red River cross-country ski trails - Prince Albert
- Kinsmen Ski & Snowboard Centre - Prince Albert
- Wapiti Valley Ski & Board Resort - RM of Nipawin (W)
- Ice fishing - Tobin Lake (W)
- Ice fishing - Waskesiu Lake
- Ice fishing - Codette Lake (W)
- Ice fishing - Chitek Lake
- Snowmobile trails - Hudson Bay (W)
- Snowmobile trails - Candle Lake
Visit the Lakeland District’s Facebook page to cast your vote and see how your favourite winter fun spots are doing. Quarter-finals to be posted for the last week of January with semi-finals and finals coming the week after.
Including winning bragging rights as Lakeland’s Wonderful Winter Spot of 2021, the bracket winner will also be given a reason to celebrate with a surprise grand prize, Frigault said. With 2020 being difficult on northeastern communities, Frigault said they are happy to give communities reach to celebrate something positive.