HUMBOLDT — It was an evening to celebrate the achievements of Humboldt Collegiate’s best athletes.
The high school hosted its athletic awards on June 11. There were awards presented for each sport, four athletes of the year, and four athletic scholarships.
While it was them that were being honoured, the athletes shared their appreciated for their coaches.
“The coaches are amazing,” said Ben Yungman, the winner of the junior male athlete of the year award. “They put in so much time. They could be doing other things that but they come for the students and for our benefit.”
During the school year, Yungman did golf, volleyball, basketball, badminton and track .
“I was honored to be picked as from one of the many students that could have been chosen for this award,” he said. “I'm happy that I just got recognized for all the hard work I put into sports and all the time I put in.”
Katie MacLean said she was surprised to win the junior female athlete of the year award. She did volleyball, basketball, badminton and track.
“I really enjoy sports and I tried to do as many sports as I could throughout the year. It was really an honor to get the award for all the hard work that we've done all year.”
Cross-country, basketball and track were the sports that Julianna Engele-Lueke, winner of the senior female athlete of the year award winner, played this school year.
“I was excited and I was proud of myself that I accomplished a lot,” she said.
Braden Fleischhacker, the senior male athlete of the year award winner, said he was honoured to win the award and to hear the kind works at the ceremony.
“I was happy because I put a lot of work into the school and I was happy to see that I was appreciated.”
Fleischhacker did volleyball, curling and track.
“I'd like to thank everyone like all the athletes I played with,” he said. “There were so many people that could have deserved this award. I'd like to thank the school for providing me with four years of awesome athletics.”
Athletic Award Winners
- Senior 9 Man Football: Dawson Hering
- Junior 9 Man Football: Luke Stadnyk
- Senior Boys Volleyball: Dalton Alstadt
- Senior Girls Volleyball: Rachel Popoff
- Junior Boys Volleyball: Ben Yungmann
- Junior Girls Volleyball: Zoe Schlitz
- Grade 9 Girls Volleyball: Lizzy Tan
- Sr. Boys Soccer: Rene Thibault
- Sr. Girls Soccer: Claire Durand
- Cross Country: Julianna Engele- Lueke
- Golf Male: Ben Yungmann
- Golf Female: Morgan Atamanchuk
- Senior Curling: Braden Fleischhacker
- Junior Curling:Spencer Possberg
- Senior Boys Basketball: Aiden Rowe
- Senior Girls Basketball: Rachelle Popoff
- Junior Boys Basketball: Logan Knutson
- Junior Girls Basketball: Jocelyne Durand
- Senior Badminton: Karyn Kapp
- Junior Badminton: Paul Evangelista
- Track and Field Male: Cody Bergermann
- Track and Field Female: Kiana Leicht
- Girls Flag Football: Kamryn Wittke
- Ken Lockinger Memorial Scholarship (minor hockey):Bray Berschiminsky
- Jacob Leicht Memorial AA Midget Hockey Award: Dylan Lindal
- Tyler Bieber & Brody Hinz Memorial Award Best Prepared Athlete: Dawson Hering and Rylan Eckl
- Tyler Bieber & Brody Hinz Memorial Award Most Aspiring Student in Media Relations/Broadcasting: Nathan Tremblay
Athletes of the Year Awards
- Junior Female: Katie MacLean
- Senior Female: Julianna Engele Lueke
- Junior Male: Ben Yungman
- Senior Male: Braden Fleischhacker