Do you remember the cereal boxes a number of years ago that had a 3-D picture on the back that you had to look at with a glazed stare in order to see an actual picture? I remember sitting around the breakfast table with our kids and each one taking turns to see if they could ‘see it’! Some ended up being able to see the bigger picture and some (including me) just saw what looked like an abstract drawing that made no sense!
It seems we find ourselves living that out in real life these days with what has become our new normal. Things have changed so drastically we hardly recognize our community! No school, no sports events, no church gatherings, in fact it seems you can hardly say hello to anyone because we are focusing on making sure we are staying the six feet apart with social distancing!
Aren’t you glad that God’s Word tells us in Malachi 3:6 “I the LORD do not change” and in Hebrews 13:8 that “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”?
That brings such peace in this day of uncertainty because God never does “social distancing,” He never cancels meeting with us through prayer and bible reading. During this time that we have separated ourselves to our households, it has hopefully been a time to reflect on how little time we have actually been spending with our families with our normal busy schedules when we finally find ourselves eating together at meal times or playing games together in the evening. Hopefully as we have pondered, “Where is God in all this?” it has caused us to spend time reading His Word and talking with Him in prayer. This time of isolation is an opportunity actually for us to grow in our relationship with the Lord.
I trust that the following verses will bring you encouragement and strength until we finally can return to normal life!
- Proverbs 18:10: The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe.
- Isaiah 41:10: So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Exodus 15:2: The Lord is my strength and my song; he has given me victory. This is my God, and I will praise him – my father’s God, and I will exalt him!
- Psalm 9:9-10: The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
- Psalm 34:10b: Those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
- Isaiah 26: 3-4: Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace – because they trust in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for in the Lord God you have an everlasting rock.
- 1 Chronicles 16:11: Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually!
- Psalm 32:7-8: You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
- Psalm 46:1: God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.