Vehicle fire in Melfort resulted from cold temperatures

MELFORT— Melfort Fire and Rescue responded to a vehicle fire on Stovel Avenue West.

Crews found the vehicle fully engulfed in flames when they arrived on scene.

article continues below

According to Shaun Stewart, Melfort’s fire chief, the fire was started by a car battery being exposed to the cold.

“That one started with a battery charge,” Stewart said. “The battery is at-30 below and the car hadn’t been fired up for over a month— so the battery is dead and caused an arc at some point.”

Along with calling the department, Stewart said that the driver exited the vehicle, attached it to a truck, and pulled the burning vehicle away from the house.

“The vehicle was pulled away from the building, so there was no electrical current going through it anymore and it just became a regular vehicle fire.”

The crew extinguished the vehicle and cleared the scene. No injuries or other damage resulted from the fire.

The call occurred on Jan. 14.

© Copyright Humboldt Journal

Comments

NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Humboldt Journal welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus

Community Event Calendar


Find out what's happening in your community and submit your own local events.