Vehicle fire in Melfort resulted from cold temperatures

MELFORT— Melfort Fire and Rescue responded to a vehicle fire on Stovel Avenue West.

Crews found the vehicle fully engulfed in flames when they arrived on scene.

article continues below

According to Shaun Stewart, Melfort’s fire chief, the fire was started by a car battery being exposed to the cold.

“That one started with a battery charge,” Stewart said. “The battery is at-30 below and the car hadn’t been fired up for over a month— so the battery is dead and caused an arc at some point.”

Along with calling the department, Stewart said that the driver exited the vehicle, attached it to a truck, and pulled the burning vehicle away from the house.

“The vehicle was pulled away from the building, so there was no electrical current going through it anymore and it just became a regular vehicle fire.”

The crew extinguished the vehicle and cleared the scene. No injuries or other damage resulted from the fire.

The call occurred on Jan. 14.

© Copyright Humboldt Journal

September 15, 2020 POLL

The Saskatchewan Health Authority is recommending people get the flu shot, especially with the COVID-19 pandemic. Will you get one?

or  view results


Community Event Calendar


Find out what's happening in your community and submit your own local events.