EAST CENTRAL — The school calendar is set for the Horizon School Division’s 2020-21 school year.
For students, school begins on Tuesday, Sept. 1.
Kevin Garinger, the division’s director of education, said in many ways the 2020-21 calendar is similar to the one covering 2019-20.
One major change is what’s happening in November. Nov. 11, 12 and 13 will all be days off for students. Garinger said that was made possible because of the relatively early Sept. 1 start.
“That allows us then to actually provide a little bit of an extra long weekend in November, which allows families to have a bit of a break in what’s good time because it's a bit of a long stretch from September to November,” he said.
In total, there will be 183 days that students are in school, while teachers will be working for 197 days.
Teachers will begin work earlier, starting on Aug. 17. In that week before, teachers will have a conference and attend the division’s annual celebration day.
Days off for students
- Sept. 7 (Labour Day)
- Sept. 21 (Collaborative Learning Day)
- Oct. 12 (Thanksgiving)
- Nov. 2 (Collaborative Learning Day)
- Nov. 11 (Remembrance Day)
- Nov. 12 (Day in Lieu of Parent/Teacher/Student Conferences)
- Nov. 13 (No School)
- Nov. 23 (Non Instructional Day)
- Dec. 21-Jan 1 (Christmas Break)
- Jan. 29 (Non Instructional Day)
- Feb. 15-19 (Family Day, Winter Break)
- March 8 (Non Instructional Day)
- March 22 (Collaborative Learning Day)
- April 2-9 (Easter Break)
- May 21 (Day in Lieu of Parent/Teacher/Student Conferences)
- May 24 (Victoria Day)