Bed catches fire in Melfort

MELFORT — There were no injuries as a bed caught fire in a home on Burns Avenue East in Melfort.

Melfort Fire and Rescue responded to the call on Jan. 14.

article continues below

Upon arrival, the crews located the mattress, extinguished the fire and removed it from the building.

“We do know the cause and we’re still handling it right now,” said Shaun Stewart, Melfort’s fire chief.

As crews then proceeded to ventilate the building, they discovered an air handling unit that was smoking and blowing the smoke into the building.

“They had to shut down the air handling unit to handle the one that was going on, so it wasn’t putting smoke back through the building,” Stewart said. “I don’t think it was dysfunctional, it was a matter of shutting it down when it was 30 below and trying to start it back up again.”

The building’s maintenance personnel shut down the unit without issue.

Stewart said bed fires aren’t too common due to mattresses being made out of mostly fire resistant materials. At the same time, while they may be fire resistant, they’re not fire proof – with this call serving as an example.

“Just be cognizant of what you take into bed with you.”

© Copyright Humboldt Journal

Comments

NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Humboldt Journal welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus

Community Event Calendar


Find out what's happening in your community and submit your own local events.