HUMBOLDT — Food Truck Wars' visit to Humboldt has been cancelled.
"The owner of Foodtruckwars.ca has elected to cancel the Humboldt event, with very short notice. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused," said Brent Fitzpatrick, the Humboldt Downtown Business Improvement District's executive director, in a statement.
"We feel a downtown event would have had a significant positive impact for the business community and regret its cancellation."
The event was originally planned for Sept. 25 and 26.
Dale Belair, co-owner of foodtruckwars.ca, said he didn’t want to cancel it, but with COVID-19 health restrictions he had no choice.
“After 30 years we don’t just cancel an event for no good reason, especially after running three successful events,” Belair said.
Previously, the food truck events were classified under “farmers’ markets”. Belair said they recently had that classification changed to “restaurant” which restricts them to 30 people.
“It was supposed to be a farmers’ market event basically, and then we became a ‘restaurant space’ all of the sudden after doing farmers market events all summer,” he said. “We just couldn’t do it, they changed the capacity to 30 people on the event site, and that just doesn’t work.”
Belair said for the Humboldt event, he was expecting a total of 24 vendors including trucks.